Monday, April 26, 2010

The Sixth Day (Part 5)


Day 4



“Why are you disconnecting my phone?”


“I can’t talk right now.”


“Go to hell”


Day 5


“Don’t be angry. She must have a genuine reason”, he repeated to himself, as his indifferent eyes scanned through another cursory turn of the newspaper pages. As he ran out of pages to turn, he scanned the room – searching for some other means to calm his thoughts with. It is amazing how the littlest of things can trigger off a volcano when your anger is close to reaching its escape velocity. This time, it was the familiar ring of his phone. He swore as he searched for the source of the sound, unable to locate the contraption buried deep beneath the piles of strewn about clothes. He finally found it. The ringing had stopped. He was about to shatter the instrument to pieces, as it rang again.


It was her call.


“You know what? I got promoted.”


“What? When? How?”


“I just got off the phone with my boss, he told me I’m getting a raise from next month, and my own office. Can you believe it – my own office?”


It took him some time to digest the information. As the words assimilated themselves into his brain, his anger seemed to evaporate away in wisps of fume. He forgot why he was angry.


“That is brilliant. I am so happy for you.”, he shrieked into the phone, his voice louder than hers.


“Thanks. I could not have done this without you.”, she replied.


“Without us”, he corrected.

No comments:

Google