Friday, September 18, 2009

The girl in the rain (Part 4)

Scene 10


Her mind was transported back to that fateful night, a fortnight ago. Brimming with anxiety, she was standing on the edge of the cabin, clenching her fists, as her friend Sherlyn impatiently typed one numeric after another into the blank text box on the screen. “Girls, it is getting late, I need to close the cyber cafĂ©”, an elderly man’s voice beamed from behind. “Just 2 minutes, uncle. Only me and her results remain to be seen”, Sherlyn uttered in a pleading tone, with her head tilted towards the girl. “Fine. But the rest of you clear out”, the man said in an exasperated voice, eyeing the group of girls surrounding Sherlyn, and pointing his finger towards the exit. “All the best”, numerous dreary voices echoed as the door’s clamp creaked for seven times in succession.


“Let’s go for it”, Sherlyn mumbled as she entered her roll number. Her companion joined her hands in prayer for her friend, and for herself. “We’re sorry to inform but you have not been selected for admission this year” – the message flashed on the screen, as she opened her eyes in disbelief, at the fate of her college topper. Sherlyn got up and went through the door, without a word to her friend who still stood in shock.


It was only when the elderly gentlemen broke her reverie that she realized she had been standing in front of an open portal that held her destiny in the wraps of uncertainty. She fumbled inside her purse to take out her admit card, and entered the digits, not even caring to seat herself. The progress bar on the browser window seemed to move at a snail’s pace. She was getting impatient. Suddenly, she was reminded of a quote that he had told her the day she had missed her college scholarship by half a mark – “God doesn’t always give us what we want, but he always gives us what we need”. The thought calmed her mind. She was now prepared for whatever message the idiot box before her would display, which had been the same one for eight times in succession that night.


“Congratulations, You have cleared the entrance examination. Please click the link below for details on the admission process” – the screen displayed.


Scene 11


“We don’t think that way, dear. Infact, no one does. Whether your skirt is smeared with ice cream or chocolate sauce, we’ll love you all the same”, the father whispered, as he laid his hand over his daughter’s head.


Ding-dong. The bell rang. “Honey, I’m busy in the kitchen. Can you get the door?”, the mother’s voice echoed from a distance. “Sure”, the man said, and made a move towards the living room. The little girl gave up on the skirt and followed him into the hall. Arrival of guests always excited her, and it nearly always meant a chocolate or a doll. As the man opened the door, he saw an elderly gentleman smiling at him. “Hi. We’ve just moved into the neighborhood. Can you guide us as to where we can catch a bus for the town hall from?”, the man’s voice shook as he spoke. “Sure, take a right down the road and then the first left. The bus stop is right at the corner of that street”, the man said, stepping out of the doorstep, while motioning the direction with his hands. “Thank you”, the old man said.


“Who all do you have in your family”, the man enquired, as the little girl was now trying to wrap herself around her father’s feet. This seemed to be an act of disapproval for the guest who had brought neither chocolates nor dolls. “Just me and my grandson, who I guess is about the same age as your pretty little daughter”, the old man smiled.


“Let us go, grandpa”, a little boy’s voice beamed, as he came running down to the door. “Aah, there he is”, the old man smiled again. The little girl’s eyes fell on the boy. He was unkempt and looked as if he had given up on bathing as a yearly ritual. “Thanks again. See you around”, the old man wished in his gentle voice. “See you”, the man smiled as he began to push the door close. The little girl caught one more glance of the boy as he tugged on his grandfather’s shirt. He seemed to be the ugliest creature she had ever seen. She cringed.


Scene 12


I had been born with a disposition that made me uncomfortable with women. Irrespective of caste, color, age or situation, women always managed to make me fidgety. And a crying woman was akin to juggling balls while walking the tightrope. Here I was, in front of a woman I barely knew and I had seen her wiping her tears. I did not know how to react. “Tea” now seemed to be the most heinous three-lettered word I had ever uttered. I regretted my indiscretion.


“So, how come you are trapped in this hideous weather?”, her question broke the silence. I could not miss the silent swallowing of tears she made before uttering the sentence. But I was happy nonetheless. Some sound is better than no sound. “I’m not from this town. Came down for some office related work”, I finally found some sense returning to my statements. “Ditto. I would have carried an umbrella had I known the weather in this city changes so quickly”, she said, the tone a little more cheerful. A lean boy placed two glasses of tea on the table. The hot steam was a pleasant relief from the damp coldness surrounding us. The lady’s potential cheerfulness and the hot tea put me a little at ease. “I’m Hiten, by the way”, I uttered, lifting my glass and blowing into it. “Pleased to meet you, Hiten”, the lady smiled back at me, and copied my act. But the lifting of the glass and the blowing was the extent of it. Her name wasn’t forthcoming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting read...the build up so far has been great

Google