Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Souvenir (Part 2)

As the darkness before his eyes cleared, Simon felt a numbing pain in his head. He could barely lift his blood soaked left eyelid. With half-blinded vision, all he managed to see were two pairs of legs scuttling away towards the entrance followed by a bang of the closing door. As he lifted his right hand to sense the source of the unbearable pain in his head, he felt the soft tissue soaked in gore. He pressed against the wound in a battle against gravity and lifted himself to his feet. At that moment, he still found comfort in knowing that his wife and unborn child were safe. He moved to his left to light the chandelier that illuminated the living room below and saw the light filter through the glass onto the still body of his wife, blood oozing from the passage the bullet had made through her forehead.


April 10, 7:30 AM, London (UK):


“I’m telling you, she’s going to love it”, hollered Patricia as her inattentive brother continued to act aloof, looking through the window onto the street below. “It’s just the perfect gift – the symbol of eternal love to mark the start of your love life”, she continued, her voice now more of a sing-song. “You got to get up and go. Proclaim your love to her, you snooty fool”, her voice ebbing back to its normal high pitch.


“I’ll look like an idiot.”, Jake finally responded. “No, you will not. You have been infatuated with her since high school. And believe me, she knows it too. I know her, she’s my best friend. She just can’t understand why you are being such a sissy about proposing to her”, Patricia’s voice was now shriller than ever, and the house’s glass panes stood in mortal danger. “Ok, I’ll do it. But I won’t carry this nonsense object with me”, Jake got up on his feet. “Just take it along, she’ll like it even if you don’t”, Patricia thrust the object-in-question into her brother’s reluctant hands, and pushed him out of the door.


Walking on the kerb, Jake thought to himself, ”Wow. This is it. I’m going to proclaim my love to my childhood crush.” “Taxi”, he shouted and bam, a cab parked itself right in front of him. Today was his lucky day, or so he thought. “Piccadilly”, Jake uttered as he got into the car.


As the cab swerved its way through the buzz of the daily commuters on the streets of London, Jake picked up her sister’s forced offering and began to carefully analyze the details, the civil engineer that he was. As he turned the trinket around, he leaped from his seat, as if pulled by an invisible hook, the trinket tumbling off his hands onto the front part of the cab. “Sorry sir, Didn’t see the bump coming”, exclaimed the abashed driver. “Never mind, my showpiece fell off. Can you look for it?”, Jake responded in an uncharacteristically calm tone. Nothing could have spoiled his mood on this bright sunny morning. “Sir, do you mind if we look upon reaching your destination?”, the driver said. “Ya, no problem”, Jake pushed himself back and crossed his arms below his head, as the cab hit the deserted Circus street and caught speed.


After another half hour of smooth driving, Jake finally saw the brick-red building in the distance, and its unmistakable stone engraving – “Gottenham Music School”. “Can you park the car by the gate, Mr.? My love interest is supposed to finish her violin lesson in another 5 minutes.”, uttered Jack, now giddy with excitement. But the cab driver didn’t slow down. “Excuse me, Mr. I said – Stop right here”, Jake demanded. “I’m sorry Sir, I can’t. The brakes are stuck”, exclaimed the panting driver.


(To be continued…)

1 comment:

vds said...

Interesting !
You are an amazing novelist !
Keep the episodes coming..
Thanks for posting your blog url at the google group (IIMB 09-11).

By the way, those lines that you have called as your life mantras are something that I live by too. The 2nd one by 'Ramdhari Singh Dinkar' I guess, is one of my most favourite.
If my memory is all right than it was a part of the chapter called 'Himat and Jindagi' in one of our Hindi Texts.
-Vishnu

Google